Earlier today, the team at Zilliqa (ZIL) announced the launch of the third version of the project’s Testnet that includes new features. Testnet v3 has been code-named Mao Shan Wang keeping the tradition of naming the project’s testnets after the Durian family of fruits. Version 1 was code-named Red Prawn and Version 2 was code-named D24.
Xinshu Dong, CEO at Zilliqa, went on to explain the significance of this testnet launch as follows:
This is a major technical milestone — as far as we know, this is the first fully-fledged testnet in the world to implement network, transaction, and smart contract sharding.
This specific testnet has addressed some of the security issues discovered by our security auditors, and added required safety checks and extra enforcement mechanisms to improve the stability of the system.
Testnet v3 Similar to the Upcoming Mainnet
The launch of the Mainnet has been scheduled for the 31st of January and this new Testnet has features similar to the upcoming Mainnet. These features include:
- The full-scale implementation of Scilla programming language across the network. New nodes can now execute contracts
- Implementation of smart contract sharding, transaction sharding and network sharding
- Public mining of testnet ZILs in an eco-friendly manner as GPUs only run at full load for a small fraction of time
- New incentive mechanism that reward nodes by considering their contributions to the consensus protocol
- New easier and efficient upgrading protocol
How to Mine on Testnet v3 – Mao Shan Wang
Full details and documentation on how to carry out mining will be made available by the team this Monday, December 3rd, 2018. This will provide timely technical support and bug-fixing for the network’s miners.
The team at Zilliqa has however provided the following technical specifications to run a node on the public testnet.
- Ubuntu 16.04.5 64-bit OS
- Intel i5 processor or later
- 8GB DRR3 RAM or higher
- Optional: GPU cards (e.g 1 x GTX 1060 with 3GB vRAM)
- NAT environment with UPnP feature supported on your router or a public IP address
What are your thoughts on the Zilliqa project? Do you believe it will become a game-changer in the blockchain and crypto space? Please let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to give financial advice. Any additional opinion herein is purely the author’s and does not represent the opinion of Ethereum World News or any of its other writers. Please carry out your own research before investing in any of the numerous cryptocurrencies available. Thank you.
The post Zilliqa (ZIL) Releases Testnet v3 in Preparation for the Mainnet Launch appeared first on Ethereum World News.